Young People

“Little children, I’m writing to you because your sins have been forgiven through Jesus’ name. Parents, I’m writing to you because you have known the one who has existed from the beginning. Young people, I’m writing to you because you have conquered the evil one. Little children, I write to you because you know the Father. Parents, I write to you because you have known the one who has existed from the beginning. Young people, I write to you because you are strong, the word of God remains in you, and you have conquered the evil one.”


1 John 2: 12-14


Sometimes we can feel limited because of our age. Maybe people tell us “you’re too young to do that, or think that.” Maybe we assume that people think less of us because of our age. This is something that I have thought about a lot in my life and especially when I started working in youth ministry. I kept thinking, how am I supposed to teach people about God when I am still young and learning so much myself? I would get caught up in thinking that because i’m still young, there must be so much that I do not know or understand. This verse from 1 John is so empowering because it shows that God uses people of all ages.

These verses talk about all people from children to parents and their understanding of God. It’s saying that this was not just written for crazy smart theologians, ministers, or adults. Instead, the bible was written for everyone. God meets everyone where they are at in life. He is with us from the beginning, and He will be with us always.

I especially love the “young people” sections. This tells us that young people are strong and filled with the word of God. It is easy to look at the world and underestimate ourselves. It is easy to get caught up in telling ourselves “how am I supposed to make a difference, I’m only in high school” or “I don’t even have my drivers license yet.” Imagine if you woke up every day and spent time to remind yourself that the bible says that YOU are strong, and YOU are filled with God. It doesn’t matter to God how old you are, God is using you in so many ways everyday. This verse is a reminder that no matter the things we feel about ourselves, God sees something we don’t always see. God is the proud father of young people who are filled with His love. Young people who are strong, courageous and loved by Him. Let God be the source of your strength in life. Use this strength to show the world the love of God and help them experience the loving father we have come to know.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's Overlook

Light as a Feather

Light in the Darkness