Will God Notice Me?


Answer me when I cry out, my righteous God! Set me free from my troubles! Have mercy on me! Listen to my prayer!”

- Psalm 4:1 CEB -



We so want to be seen, noticed and heard! I think about all the ways we put ourselves out there – from finding just the right Instagram photo, continually looking for a witty Twitter statement, and even the ways we work to maintain a Snapchat streak. There is something about knowing who has paid attention to us that feels so fulfilling. Even our phones tell us when someone has read our text message.

The same goes with our connection and faith in God. We wonder if God hears us. We want to know when God will read our message. We wait for God to respond.

The book of Psalms are filled with authors that express similar longing through the poems written down as Scripture. Many of the psalms are attributed to King David who both knew personal intimacy with God as well as the deep despair of separation and disconnection with God. Psalm 4 starts with a cry for attention, but in verse 3 David proclaims: “Know this: the Lord takes personal care of the faithful. The Lord will hear me when I cry out to him.” It even ends with the idea of falling asleep in the safety of God. 

When we read Scripture, we are reminded of reassured of the ways that God has heard and continues to hear us. Just like God journeys with broken, imperfect beautiful people like King David, God journeys with us today. God notices us, follows us, and loves us.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Light as a Feather

God's Overlook

Light in the Darkness