Run Down & Empty

Just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways,
and my plans than your plans.
so is my word that comes from my mouth;
it does not return to me empty.
Instead, it does what I want,
and accomplishes what I intend.
 - Isaiah 55:9, 11 (CEB) -


We’ve all been there. We feel exactly like a dead cell phone - drained, useless, practically dead weight. We wonder what on earth God could do with us. We hear talk of God’s purpose, but without some spark beyond ourselves we will never be more than what we feel.

This is exactly why I love reading the prophets sometimes. Sure there are times when they are hard on God’s people, but there are beautiful places when they also remind God’s people that their goodness is not determined on what they think. God is ready to work in us before we even know what to do. God’s plan is so much bigger and larger than any of our own doubt, self-pity or uncertainty. God’s plan does not return empty! God is ready to use us exactly how God intends. 

Even before we feel recharged or full, God is plugging into us in ways that we might never know. Just like with a dead cell phone sitting on a charger - if we never turn on and start to notice God working through us, we might never realize how God has already mysterious empowered us. Take a moment, breath in deeply and know that God’s word to us does not return empty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's Overlook

Light as a Feather

Light in the Darkness