In Awe of God

The Lord’s voice is over the waters;
    the glorious God thunders;
the Lord is over the mighty waters.
The Lord’s voice is strong;
   the Lord’s voice is majestic.
- Psalm 29:3-4 CEB -


The clapping of ocean waves under a vast night sky is one of the most powerful scenes I have ever encountered. I feel small and humbled on the beach of an ocean that looks like it will never end and under a sky filled with seemingly infinite stars. When I witness this I often feel small, but I am filled with awe at the creative power of our God.

The ocean is great, vast, powerful, beautiful, terrifying, and full of life. It fills me with awe. Even more than this, I am filled with awe as I reflect on the God who created such a magnificent piece of art. Since it is beautiful, how much more is God? Since it is full of life, how much more is God? This powerful part of nature shows us a glimpse of what our God is like.

Even in the midst of feeling small in front of a majestic sight, I feel comforted. The God who created this mighty ocean and endless sky is the also the God who created me. Even in the midst of God’s greatness and His marvelous creation, God wanted to create you and me. What an incredible thought. What’s more, this powerful God sent His only Son to die a painful human death and rise again so that we as His marvelous creation can have new life.

As you visualize this scene in your own mind, or the next time you find yourself on the coast, remember that we worship a powerful God who created the skies, the oceans, and you. You are part of His plan. Let yourself be in awe at his great power in creation and His great love for each person.

To Read More: Genesis 1:1-2:3 and Psalm 29

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's Overlook

Light as a Feather

Light in the Darkness