Dancing Shoes


“David and all the house of Israel were dancing before the Lord with all their might, with songs and lyres and harps and tambourines and castanets and cymbals.”
- 2 Samuel 6:5 NRSV -

“When his daughter Herodias came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his guests; and the king said to the girl, 'Ask me for whatever you wish, and I will give it.'”
- Mark 6:22 NRSV -



I’ll admit it. I’m not a dancer. I lived through the days of ballroom dancing, square dancing, disco, country-line dancing, creative dance, expressionist dance, jive, hip-hop, and grunge. I am not a dancer. My body moves to the rhythm of music in ways never intended by human beings. And yet, you will see my toe tapping in church, my head bobbing in the car, and hear my whispers singing along in with the choir. My one brush with liturgical dance in a worship service proved near disastrous and will never be spoken of in public.

And yet, I love to dance. There is something about dance that is freeing, energizing, brings focus and freedom unlike anything else. I’ve been watching “Dance World” on Tuesday nights on NBC (yes, my life is that boring) and have been captivated by the individuals and groups that perform amazing feats of precision, coordination, gymnastics and fluid motion. I love to watch dance and celebrate those who have the gift.

The two scriptures in today’s reflection both deal with dance. The Samuel text lifts up the exuberant, unrestrained dance of David when the Ark was returned to Jerusalem after the Israelites allowed it to be captured in battle. Oooops. That wasn’t supposed to ever happen. The Ark denoted the dwelling place of God and when it left – they thought God had left them, too. So, when the Ark returns, David engages in this wild, impromptu, street dancing of joy as he leads the Ark back to its place.

Contrast the dance of David with the dance of Herodia’s daughter (who is unnamed). The second dance was manipulative, taunting, evil in intent, and was used to secure the death of John the Baptizer. Two different dances – two different purposes – two different outcomes.

The next time you see wild, impromptu dancing – after the winning field goal, the announcement of the winner or champion, the last minute score or goal – think of the joy in the moment. A victory won. A defeat restored to victory. A future restored.

I think God calls us to put on our dancing shoes. The shoes all vary – ballet slippers, tap, boots smooth soled – but we’re called to dance in the joy of the Lord.

I think David danced to show others that God intends us to live joy filled, exuberant lives – and our only response is to dance!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's Overlook

Light as a Feather

Light in the Darkness