Who's Hungry?

Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.”
- John 6:35 NIV - 

Image result for neon sign hungry


Have you ever forgotten your lunch at school, or not packed snacks to get through the day? I often make the mistake of not packing snacks or lunch with me when I go to class, and I always end up being that person in the back of the class that sounds like I have a small monster growling from my stomach. I also notice that when I get hungry, I cannot focus as well. I don't know if it's because I'm day dreaming about the pizza I want to eat later, or just because my brain is running on empty and is giving up but I can never focus when I am hungry. There is something about feeling like there is nothing in your stomach that offsets your entire day.

In this verse from John, Jesus is telling everyone around him that whoever believes in Him will never go hungry, or be thirsty. Can you imagine never being hungry or thirsty? This perpetual state of satisfaction sounds like it would make life a lot more convenient. You would save a lot of money not having to buy food, eating out, trying to eat healthy, and everything else that comes with needing food. Of course, never being physically hungry is not exactly what Jesus was talking about here.

Jesus is talking about a different kind of hunger. This emotional or mental hunger that we get inside when we feel like something is missing. We try to satisfy this hunger with all sorts of things in our lives. Maybe we try to fill that hole with our achievements in school or clubs. I know that I have often tried to fill this hunger with other people that come in and out of my life. Whatever it is that we try and use to satisfy this yearning, we will always end up hungry. However, in this verse from John, Jesus is telling us that He alone makes us complete and full. When we turn to Him to fill the void inside of ourselves, He embraces us and makes us whole.

Everyone feels alone, empty, and hungry for something at times. God is the ultimate source of constant, never-ending, sustenance for our hunger. Let God be what you turn to when you are hungry for more in life. Let God be the one to make you feel full.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Light as a Feather

God's Overlook

Light in the Darkness