Strong as a Mountain


"The people who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion: never shaken, lasting forever. Mountains surround Jerusalem. That’s how the Lord surrounds his people from now until forever from now!"

- Psalm 125: 1-2 CEB -

"'Because you have little faith,' he said. 'I assure you that if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Go from here to there,’ and it will go. There will be nothing that you can’t do.'"

- Matthew 17:20 CEB -
I was never someone who wanted to be outdoors when I was younger. I don’t like bugs, heat, dirt, and am always terrified of what creature may be lurking under a bush or behind a tree. That being said, sometime in the last few years this changed drastically. I do not know if it was a random hiking trip, or getting tired of the north Texas landscape, but I suddenly started longing to be in the mountains. I love the weather, the hiking, the smell of the air, being surrounded by trees, and of course... I love the view. I think a big factor in this new desire was that I started seeing and feeling God in nature. Being able to see mountains, valleys, or canyons that thrive beyond human reach amazes me. There is something so strong and eternal about these landmarks. I think that is why I often find myself drawn to bible verses that reference mountains. This verse from Psalms says that just like mountains surround Jerusalem, so God surrounds His people. God is around us like tall mountains surrounding a valley.

I am drawn to images of mountains because of their strength. I know that there have been times in my life where I wish I was stronger. Stronger like I could face anything happening in my life with a smile and a positive attitude un-phased by the events around. I think there are times where we all want to be stronger for ourselves or the people around us. It could be that we want to support a family member or a sick friend, maybe our home life isn’t stable and we are trying to be strong, or that we are in a fight with a friend or significant other and we are tired of feeling hurt. Sometimes we wish that we weren’t feeling the emotions at all, or sometimes we just wish that we could be stronger in light of whatever is happening. The verse from Matthew tells us that just a tiny bit of faith gives us the strength to move mountains. Can you imagine having that strength while going through life? That turning to God, having faith that He is with you, and He has a plan, gives you strength to face the world head on. AND that through whatever we go through, God is surrounding us like tall mountains stretching up into the sky. Having faith in God doesn’t mean that He waves a magic wand and fixes our problems. Having faith in God means trusting Him, and remembering that He is all around us lifting us up and giving us strength.

To Read More: Psalm 125, Matthew 17:1-13, Matthew 14-21

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's Overlook

Light as a Feather

Light in the Darkness