Warm and Fuzzy

“But your loyal love, Lord, extends to the skies; your faithfulness reaches the clouds. Your righteousness is like the strongest mountains; your justice is like the deepest sea. Lord, you save both humans and animals. Your faithful love is priceless, God! Humanity finds refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the bounty of your house;you let them drink from your river of pure joy.Within you is the spring of life.  In your light, we see light.


Psalm 36: 5-9 CEB



What do you do when you’re having a really, totally, horribly bad day? Do you isolate yourself, or flock to friends? Do you seek out music or movies to relate to your feelings? Do you try and keep yourself busy with homework and tasks, or do you space out and let your mind go numb? I think that this is an important thing to know about ourselves. Sometimes these outlets can be good, but other times, our coping mechanisms don’t always help us face the problem at hand.

When something happens, and I’m having a really bad day (or week) I usually tend to isolate myself. I just want to get on my couch with my fluffiest blanket, favorite ice cream, and whatever show I decide to watch on netflix... which is usually Friends. I know that I need some time to process my feelings, and let myself think through what is happening. I have always been bad about seeking help in times of crisis. I’m really good at talking to people AFTER something has happened, but not so good at letting people walk with me through hard times. This also means that I am not always good about including God in these times. This is something that I have tried to work on the last few years.

To me, words that friends or loved ones say in times of stress or hurting can always help a little. These words can remind us that were not alone, and that we have people supporting us. That being said, I think that sometimes words offered from the outside, can act as a bandage for our wounds. These bandages help, and are very necessary to the healing process, but we still need a lot more to totally recover and mend our wounds. That is where scripture helps me when I need to heal. I especially love Psalms verses, like this one, for times of hurting and healing. The poetry and majesty of this section from Psalm 35 instantly makes my heart and head change their perspective. Simply put, this verse from Psalm 35 gives me the warm and fuzzies! When I read it, I feel a wave of peace and serenity wash over me. Scripture like this one reminds us of the never ending, “loyal love” that God has for us. Words from friends can heal some wounds and help us to feel better. Words from God can heal our soul. Scripture helps remind us the importance of what God says about us, not what people say about us. The Bible tells us how loved, valued, and wanted we are by the ultimate father, creator, and redeemer.

Find a few go-to verses that can help you in times of stress and crisis. Let the Word of God warm your heart and heal your soul.

Pictured: Salvation Mountain in California (This picture and the messages on the mountain also gives me the warm and fuzzies!)


To read more: Psalm 36

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's Overlook

Light as a Feather

Light in the Darkness